23 July 2009

The wonderful, beautiful land called Wales

Saturday morning came at 7am for me, with mixed clouds and sun, in Holyhead, Wales, on the northwesternmost part of the isle of Anglesey. I had a full English breakfast and yummy hot coffee-all coffee here has been yummy- at the restaurant of a woman from Portugal. When I pulled out my map to show her where I'd traveled, she got lost in Portugal! I reluctantly left after a sweet visit, and headed east towards Bangor. A man who assured me I was on the right road said the isle is like a basket of eggs, and the roads all go up and down over the eggs!! He was right. Up and down, up and down, makes for strong legs, I guess.
Past Bangor I headed south, through Bethesda and up over the mountains. And it rained....and rained....and rained some more. Wales, and all of the UK, must be some of the cleanest places on earth, they get washed frequently, as do the cyclists who travel through. Up over the mountain, and I kept seeing hikers coming out of the hills. At one point one asked me if I'd seen a campground back aways, and I said Yes, a mile or so up the rod. He said Did you see the name of it? and I said Nooo! the sign was a foot square and it was raining too hard to read!! We were near the highest peak in Wales, and people there are challenged to hike the three highest peaks in Britain in 24 hours, come rain (which it does!) or shine. They drive to one, hike up and down, jump in the car, and so on till they get all three.
So I continued on down into the town of Betws Y Coed, where I hugged a pot of tea and grew warm as I ate cod fish and chips. The only reasonably priced rooms were at the hostel, 2 milesw back up the hill (I swear the sign said hotel, not hostel....but it was raining, I couldn't read....). At the hoste3l, I lucked out and got my very own 6 bed dorm room to myself. I did a load of laundry, and hung my tent and wet things all over everywhere to dry. And I slept like a baby!! In the morning, it was a hearty delicious breakfast again, and a toaster the likes of which I've never seen. Bread is inserted into the top front of it, where it proceeds to creep backward over the hot wires, toasting as it goes. It then drops around and down onto the bottom, where it is pushed out towards the toastee. Yum!
I left town, and

1 comment:

  1. Yeah beautiful! Just having my short break in wales and I have so much fun. And I think you're also enjoying your stay.

    ReplyDelete