07 June 2009

I'm going on Thursday to meet Mr Zwanenburg

While I was bicycling to Harlingen yesterday, Jeannette reread the articles I brought with me about Dad in 1970. She decided she could find out perhaps about Mr Zwanenburg through Google, which I tried last winter. She told me today that she doesn't know quite how it happened, but she found him in Baarn, 81 years old and with an address and phone. Jeannette was concerned that he might be frail of health or more importantly, mind.
Today she finally decided, Now! Let's call! His wife answered the phone, they talked, and then she spoke with him! Her face was all aglow and happy. When Jeannette said "yes, 9 children" I knew he remembered Dad. He wants to meet me on Thursday, and said he still has a letter from Dad. When Jeannette hung up the phone we hugged and she said "I've been brought into this story through you, and it is so exciting! I have, how you say, bumpy flesh?" She said, he sounds so strong, so intelligent, so sound, and his wife too.
So it's off to Dietrich and Christine's for a few days, then north to Baarn and he will meet me at the train Thursday afternoon. Wow! I'm speechless. I will write down all the questions I can think of before you go, and hopefully you all have some also.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how amazing. I am so excited for you and how wonderful of Jeanette to do all of this for you- it sounds to me like you've made a friend for life (and how wonderful that is).
    That we cannot wait to hear about your travels with Dietrich and Christine.
    We hope, that while you've got some down time with the two of them you'll upload some pictures to your blog. If you need any help, let me know!! The world MUST see your photos!!!

    YAY!! We are all SO excited for you!!!

    Keep up with your amazing adventure-- and keep up with your blogging-- you're a wonderful blogger ;)

    Stay safe and we love you lots!!

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am speechless! This has God's fingerprints all over it and I can only hope it brings healing in all the ways it should.
    Love,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Europeans dont rot from the brain, out, like Americans tend to, mom. This will prbably be like no experience you have ever had with an 81 year old. I bet he has mementos for you to keep and I bet he will be dressed to the nines. Nobody will ever be able to take this experience from you, and I cant think of anyone more deserving of this experience than you. All of your time and endless devotion to your family will finally pay off on Thursday. You having experiences like this will make our time in Alberton completely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God has his name written all over this trip- from start to finish! Make sure to take lots of photos! Please give Jeanette our warmest thanks! It brings a lump to my throat to think of all you are experiencing. We watched some specials on D-Day (Jonathan's 14 BD) and saw the American military cemetery in France...kind faces of the now Grandpa soldiers of WWII. What timing! Have a wonderful time.

    We have traveled with you in your blogs...keep them coming. All our love,

    Kimberlee and all

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is from Carolyn- Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind'a got teary reading about the discovery of the old gentleman ... but then I'm easy.

    ReplyDelete