07 June 2009

So east to Barth first, then to Mr Zwanenberg

Today was an exciting day, with the news of Mr Zwanenberg. Jeannette later said, Oh! he is clever! He is so clever! Meaning he has his full mind about him. She has a meeting Thursday afternoon around 4 near, like very near, where he is, so we will all meet together. I'm not sure if he speaks English- many older Hollanders do not- so Jeannette will work to translate if need be and help with the conversation. Wow!
We had some lunch, simple things like the sliced meats and fresh hearty cheeses, sliced tomatos and cucumbers, heavy bread. Jeannette said one hefts bread here- holds it to calculate weight- and the heavier, the more substantial. We had fresh pasta cooked with mushrooms, tomatos, olives, with slices of fresh strong cheese on it, salad and red wine for dinner. The coffee here is fabulous. Many people own a Phillips Senseo machine, which makes espresso quickly, with coffee in a bag (like a tea bag), and it's delicious. They even have a small container to hold some milk and "froth" it by whisking rapidly, then spoon over the coffee. Cinnamon, cocoa, and it's fresher, hotter and tastier than bought out.
I went out to bicycle to the center of town today, and the bikes here are literally everywhere. Babies will ride in the front with a clear plastic windscreen, teens, ride with a friend sitting astride sidesaddle behind them, looking very relaxed with their hands folded in their laps. People use cell phones and ride, some smoke cigarettes!, they even read books while riding! Today a man in his 60s was next to me waiting at the light, and when it changed, he "blew my doors in"! Off he went in a scurry!
I slept for a half hour around 6 before Dietrich called. When I told him of Mr Zwanenberg and my considerations- go south, then north, then south, he said he had to work 4 days this week. That clinched it for me to go east to Barth first. It is on the North Sea, but here they divide that sea by North and East. So it is warmer than the Zuider Zee, which is part of the North Sea, so yeah! more swimming! I will leave in the morning by 10 I think. Jeannette has made all the train connections and reservations for me (could she travel with me for a few more weeks please?!!) and for my bicycle. When I leave Leeuwarden, I travel east to Leer, then through the border to Bremen, Germany (Dad's plane dropped bombs over Bremen or Bremenhaven just north on the day he was shot down). Then on to Hamburg- no, I won't probably buy a hamburger, thank you!- Rostock and Barth. I have wheels, so I can travel to and through the towns. The land is flat and easy to bike, and very beautiful. I will read tomorrow myself how to load pictures onto the computer and off to you all.

8 comments:

  1. A litte after 8 PM EST - God Bless you girl! You are being so rewarded for all your hard work all these years. I am so utterly and completely happy for you. It's a big world out there and you are doing what many of us might like to have tried, I know I am keen on it. Need to put a couple of things in order first though but biking across that countryside sure sounds like sometihng I absolutely will do. I look forward to your pics and continued writings. Sent a simple thank you to Jeannette for the help she is giving you. What a blessing! Sent a note to Dietrich for you also. Anyway, have fun!

    Love you and keeping you in prayer!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, they had snow out west... broke some temp records thathad stood for 60 years too, be glad you're not here riding through snow!!

    Love,

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should pick up small, pocket sized, "native to Europe things to send/bring back. Candies, bottle tops, pens, free refrigerator calendars etc. Food stuffs are the most interesting, to me. Please see if you can manage to pick up and send some wine and perhaps coffee. Senseo's are semi popular here in the states, so please don't go out and buy one of those. Prior to your departure, you were down playing your clothes; they were great. Shower, wash your clothes and enjoy Mr. Z's company. How close will you be to the exact location where he unearthed papa's belongings???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have spent a few hours poring over Dad's POW diary and the Merkki sisters' site. They complement each other, filling in holes on both sides.
    The Bremen raid was Dad's last mission, #4, Dec.16, 1943. Gerrit J. Zwanenburg had been a 15 yr old student, working for the Dutch underground on that fateful day in Harlingen. After the war he went to work for the RNAF, and put Dad's Mae West and parachute on display.
    When Dad returned in 1970, he bought a bike on the Waterloo Square. It was a Tour de France super racing model. (info from De Telegraaf, Tue, June 4, 1970).

    Keep on going...you are adding to the story. Give our thanks to Jeanette.

    With all our love,

    Kimberlee and all

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget it's easy to post pictures on Blogspot! Would love to see some in the posts. Glad to hear things are going well.

    It's cold here!

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see the pictures!!

    Looking forward to our Skype sessiong this afternoon-- you just know the Pearl is gonna LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. keren,
    you're such an inspiration! rock on with your bad self. can't wait to hear how the meeting with mr. z turns out...
    brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Learn how to make that coffee with the Phillips Senseo and maybe you can give Parris a lesson when you return. It sounds great.

    I've always loved heavy, substantial bread. I have mentioned to my last two wives that I bet the kids in AHS could be taught to love Breuchan (¿spelling?), the small, heavy, leather-crusted German bread. It makes your teeth ANIMAL! RAVENOUS! Sooo good.

    Reading your trip has made me miss Europe sooo much. I am losing my German, and I'm afraid my French is probably more of a joke since I've been in Montana without pause.

    Your syntax in the sentence, "I will read tomorrow myself how to load pictures onto the computer and off to you all," sounds like you've been trying the language differences over there.

    Go for it, woman!

    P.S. "Thunderpen" is Parris.

    ReplyDelete