27 June 2009

Through Switzerland and into Paris

On my way around Lake Constance I went for a refreshing swim...as in, it was too chilly to swwim for long. I reached the campground in Austria, blogged home from my tent- wow! the internet in a tent in Austria!!- and slept, as it began to rain. In the morning it rained off and on, and I made my way to St Marguerite in Switzerland. The border guards motioned me through, and I found a man's burgundy handkerchief, like ones Poppa used. Funny reminder of Dad, who enjoyed Switzerland. I checked my maps and made my way to St Gallen. I went the hard way, not knowing the "shortest" way was up over a mountain range! A 60ish man on a bike led me the way up to a restaurant, where he turned off, after hefting my bike and saying "I'm impressed!" Dietrich's Dad had told me the longest distance between 2 points is a straight line, and that was the case. But, I saw high mountain villages, heard the ring of cowbells in the distance, the chirps of birds- what beautiful views!
The next day in St Gallen, it rained through the day, but I was in the bibliotheque, with the oldest book there having been written in 807. 12 hundred years old! And a mummy from Egypt, from 600BC, was in the corner with her coffins. What a beautiful amazing place, the words don't describe it! The cathedral next door is the most beautiful Baroque one in Switzerland-lovely!
With rain in the forecast for the next several days, I boarded the train on Wednesday and went through the center of the country to France, where I headed north to Paris. My bike was the only one on the train, in contrast to Germany and Holland, where I was blessed to find a place for it. The people from Geneva, Switzerland, to Paris, were definitely of the upper class of society. A nice 20ish girl did speak with me, having lived in New Orleans 1 yr and New York City 1 year. At the bus terminal I was shown on the map where the youth hostel was, and wove my way to it, mostly pushing my bike through people and traffic. Ahh, Paris on a Wednesday afternoon in June! On one occasion, when I got momentarily turned around (lost!) I asked a young man, Do you speak English? He replied, It depends- when I want to. Honest!!
Thursday I bought a Metro ticket and sawthe sights of the city, and made my way to the Eiffel Tower. Holy mackeral! there's nothing like looking at it in front of you. I rode the elevator to the top, stayed for more than an hour, then walked from the second floor down, then back up. Visitors are not allowed to walk all the way to the top. I went to the Arch de Triumphe, down the Chanze Elysses (sp!), past the palace, saw many beautiful sights. After supper and dooing laundry, it was sstill only 9:15, and I traveled out of my comfort zone by taking the subway back to the Eiffel Tower to see it at night in lights. Wow! What a grand lady she is, so delicate and strong and infinitely beautiful!
Arriving back at my room, my roommate, a 60ish woman from Nice, France, was at the window. She had heard a commotion and was looking up, as a drunk? man was throwing household goods from the 20th floor of his new apartment building. Pots, pans, shoes, even a large footstoll came crashing down! We were quite safe, aas he was across the courtyard. The police arrived and things were quiet again.
Paris is so much like the energy and activity of New York City, European style. I rode my bike Friday morning along the bike lane, which is marked for bikes and buses (hmm! bikes beware!!). I easily made my way to the north train station, to head north and over to Dover by way of ferry. The adventure continues.....

6 comments:

  1. Champs Elysees - I learned stuff like that when I was a kid learning French. And I read about the places you are exploring now! What fun! I hope you are taking LOTS of pictures! Be safe! Let me know when you see the Prince of Wales and what he has to say when he meets a Princess of Wales :)
    Love you,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austria...Switzerland...1200 year old books...ancient mummies...cathedrals...Paris...the Eiffel Tower...pots & pans raining down in France! The Princess of Wales is back to blog and we are her Royal Court, awaiting the next adventure! You make us all smile with great joy for all you are doing.
    All our love,
    Kimberlee and all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incorrect spelling or not, sounds like you are having such an amazing time!

    We can't wait to hear about the next leg of your adventure!!

    YAY!!
    Love Jen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. keren,
    it's awesome to read the updates about your adventure. what an amazing time you're having!

    we've been playing lots of cards with ray and jen, and we planted your raised beds full of corn. yum!

    stay safe and keep us posted!
    brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an adventure you're having! i had to settle for taking the kids on the AJ trail and then dropping 4 of my beauties off the carrier and onto the interstate. (not the braxton) 8 bent wheels for sure. rebuild time. just ordered a handlebar like the one on your new dutch bike. how's it working? hiawatha next week. keep pedaling. dd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,
    I am so excited for you and can't wait to read your next entry. Be strong, happy and safe.
    Rose Dehne

    ReplyDelete